Dec 6, 2010

Inspired by the XX

I have gotten really into the boy/girl duo, the XX. I don't know what it is about the combination of male and female voices but there's something very intimate and sweet about it. Using a lot of drum machines and interpol like guitar rifts, the music is spare, cool, and modern. And while I tend to like over the top drama in music ( a la Animal Collective or Arcade Fire) I really enjoy how refreshingly tidy, spare, and modern the XX is. But contrasted against the clean beats are some quite sexy lyrics that keep you listening closely. And whether it's their 80's reminiscent sound or their black album cover somehow I can't help feeling it's just a tad goth in that Cure or Smiths kinda way.

I wanted to find some looks that really personified the relaxed coolness of the band. The "I can't be bothered to find a drummer so I'm using this drum machine" aspect of the XX combined with some seriously sexy lyrics called out to me to find some understatedly sexy and dark outfits. The cut of the clothing is clean and a bit androgynous, but always with messy hair, and a little sex appeal.
In terms of interiors, I wanted to find spaces that were equally modern, clean and free of clutter. I was drawn to a lot of spaces with bright white walls and dark furniture. The look is elegant, but relaxed and full of lots of empty space. And I definitely wanted rooms with lots of animal fur and hide for that jolt of soft contrast.

image 1 by Vanessa Jackman, 2, 3 and 4 by Stockholm StreetStyle, 5 and 6 by The Sartorialist, 7, 8, and 9 via Diversion Project, 10 and 11, 12, 13 via Living Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...