Apr 8, 2010

Clashes of Taste

Since PB and I will be moving soon and we are registering for some new home items, I've been thinking a lot about how we might redecorate our new place. This will involve combining some new items--definitely a new couch--as well as some of the things we've picked up over our lives together and as single people. It might even involve a few diy reupholstering or repainting tasks. The question is....what do we want it to look like. For a while I have been inspired by these two pictures. Lots of browns and red, leather, a mix of modern and antiques, a little bohemian.
But then this picture stopped me dead in my tracks. I love the gray with the bright pops of color, the sort of vintage-style chandelier, and that directional style table and chairs. PB even peeked over and said he loved those chairs.

The thing is, this always happens to me. I totally admire those people who can consistently work a head to toe look whether its the Hollister Hovey sisters' antiquarian vibe or Niotillfem's french retro style....but I'm not like that. I like too many different and varying styles. While I think these women have great style, I have to say that the Sartorialist has given me solice in the forward of his book:

"We tend to think that to achieve great personal style someone must have perfect clarity about who they are and what they stand for. I politely disagree. I think conflict about who you are often leads to often greater expression."

Fortunately, you can wear a different outfit every day but sometimes too many styles in one room just looks....confused.

Does anyone else feel this way?

2 comments:

  1. Most definitely. I have less of a grasp of what designers and styles I like. I know it when I see it. But, I also know that some of those styles will never mix in a room, much less an apartment, together.

    So, that is why I say that, if you are going to pick a room to draw inspiration from, you might want to pick something like the first photograph. It will allow you to use most of the items and furnishings you already have, but still mix in some great new accents. You both have great style... it will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of green in the dining room. Probably because it makes me think of salad and flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...