Jun 7, 2010

Mahi Mahi and Bok Choy a la No.7

When I was in New York last weekend I had this amazing mahi mahi with bok choy, basil, and rhubarb that was so unexpectedly wonderful at No.7. I just had to see if I could recreate it once I got home.

Okay, ingredients necessary: mahi mahi (about 6 oz. per person), bok choy, one stick of rhubarb, ginger, 2 fistfuls of basil, canola oil, and some sea salt (fleur de sal). I also added bacon, which was not in the No.7 recipe, but I knew PB would like it. After cleaning the bok choy, remove the large white stem and discard them. Cut the remainder of the bok choy leaves into thirds on a diagonal. Then chop the large rhubarb into small thin rounds (the thinner the better).
Meanwhile season the mahi mahi with salt (a little of the sea salt) and pepper and grate some fresh ginger over the fish.
Heat some oil in a pan (I used my cast iron) and begin sauteeing the fish. At approximately the same time, heat some oil in another pan ( I used the bacon grease) and sautee the bok boy and rhubarb. Continue to cook the fish until white the whole way through (approximately 15 minutes). After approximately 10 minutes (as the bok choy begins to wilt and soak up the oil) add in the basil and continue to stir. The fish and the bok choy should finish cooking at approximately the same time. Then, nothing to do but plate it, sprinkle some bacon on it if you want to, and definitely add some sea salt and EAT IT! It was delicious, not quite as good as No. 7's but, good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...