Oct 28, 2010

Inspired by the Drums

One of my first favorite bands was the beach boys. And by first, I mean I listened to endless summer on my fisher price record player (that is first). I'm pretty sure most of my music taste has flowed from that first exposure to music. So I got ridiculously excited when I heard the Drums. A self-described indie surf band, they are ridiculously catchy. They have lyrics like "I just want to be with you my dear" and "if you fall asleep down by the water, baby I'll carry you all the way home." Even better, it's not just straight up surf music but more...surf music meets the 80s (think the smiths, or joy division). I don't know what it is, but putting it on makes me want to ride shot gun with my feet out the windows, stay up till 4 am on a patio drinking with friends and wear a lot of sparkly eyeshadow. And I have to say, due to it's Southern California vibe it's been conjuring up some very distinct interior and fashion design ideas in my head.
For this kind of music I want exposed and untreated wood, shag carpets, succulents, and retro couches. Definitely not anything new or shiny that my wet swimsuit would ruin.

From a fashion perspective, the drums inspire a couple different looks. Either something super easy and sunkissed:
But it also makes me want to beehive my hair and put on a flouncy skirt and play it super retro:Clearly something that can inspire all this is worth a listen. Do you ever have fashion/music fantasies?
images via Bestor Architecture, Aubrey Road, Design Sponge (?), Vogue Australia, fashion images 2, 3, 5, 6 from dustjacket attic, image 4 coco + kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...